Reduce Allergies by Reducing Dust Mite Count
- Bedrooms where the allergic person spends the most time should be without carpet; wood or tile floors are best to prevent allergies
- All mattresses and box springs must be completely covered with an air tight plastic cover (top, bottom, sides, back and zipped up)
- Pillows should be washable polyester and should be replaced at least every two years
- All bedding in the allergic person’s bedroom should be washed at least every two weeks in hot water. This includes pads, pillows, comforters and blankets. Cooler washing and then drying won’t kill the dust mites. Polyester comforters and cotton cellular blankets are best because they can be washed
- Dust the bedroom as frequently as possible, and clean it at least every other week using a cloth or mop sprayed with dust cleaner.
- Never use items containing feathers as this can cause sever allergies
- Avoid heavy curtains and use window shades if possible. Heavy curtains are notorious for causing allergies with dust mites. If curtains are used, launder them frequently to maintain allergies.
- Air conditioners can prevent the high heat and humidity that stimulates dust mite growth. Mites grow best at 75-85% relative humidity. Change the filter in the air conditioner every 3-4 weeks
- Air the bedroom thoroughly during and after cleaning. Keep the doors and windows closed otherwise
Allergies Caused by Dust Mites
House dust mites are one of the most common causes of problems to allergic people. A dust mite is a tiny bug that lives in rugs, bedding, mattresses, clothing, stuffed furniture and stuffed animals. The dust mite’s diet consists of shed scales from human skin. There are millions of these creatures living in our homes in the places mentioned above. Waste particles produced by these creatures are the main substances to which allergic people react.
Smoke is harmful to everybody’s lungs and makes allergies worse. Don’t allow anybody to smoke anywhere in the home or car, at anytime. If you smoke, you should quit to prevent allergies from disturbing you and those around you!